Wednesday, July 17, 2019

VA - The Complete Stax Volt Singles 1972-1975, Volume 3 [1994] (10 x CD's)



STAX VOLT 1972-1975

VA - The Complete Stax Volt Singles 1972-1975, Volume 3 [1994] (10 x CD's)


STAX Soul Singles Complete Volume 3" (3 of 3) spanning the final years of the famous Soul Label's output between 1972 and 1975 first appeared in 1994 in a garish orange-coloured 12" x 12" Box set to very mixed reviews. With 10-discs and a whopping 213-tracks – it was extensive for sure.

The third and final chapter of the definitive collection of the great Memphis soul label Stax focuses on the early-mid 1970s.
During those four years, the label was winding down, since it was unable to successfully make the transition from gritty soul to smoother soul and disco. Their older artists couldn’t handle the newer sound, and the newer artists were generally saddled with undistinguished songs. In other words, there weren’t many great singles from this era, which is what makes listening to The Complete Stax-Volt Soul Singles, Volume 3: 1972-1975 interesting. While the sound of the set is pleasant, evoking both the funky and smooth soul of the early ’70s quite well, the songs and the performances aren’t particularly noteworthy. There’s about a disc and a half worth of prime material scattered across this set, and only die-hard collectors and fetishists will have the patience to find them. Still, those dedicated listeners will find the box a nice way to conclude the series, since it is a well-produced and comprehensive set, even if the music itself is uneven.

===========================================================



===========================================================

Track lists

CD 1

1. Yum Yum Yum (I Want Some) – Eddie Floyd
2. Carry On – Jean Knight
3. Do Your Thing (Vocal) – Isaac Hayes
4. I’ve Been Lonely for So Long – Frederick Knight
5. Nothing Is Everlasting – Annette Thomas
6. Hearsay – The Soul Children
7. Angel of Mercy – Albert King
8. In the Rain (Edited Version) – The Dramatics
9. She’s My Old Lady Too – Lee Sain
10. Explain It to Her Mama – The Temprees
11. Right On – Sons of Slum
12. Doing My Own Thing (Part 1) – Johnnie Taylor (The Soul Philospher)
13. My Honey and Me – The Emotions
14. Let’s Stay Together (Instr.) – Isaac Hayes
15. Bring It Home (And Give It to Me) – Hot Sauce
16. Look Around You – Black Society
17. Don’t Do It/I’m with You – The Nightingales
18. I’ll Take You There – The Staple Singers
19. Which Way – The Leaders
20. Living a Life Without Love – Veda Brown
21. What’s Good for You (Don’t Have to Be Good to You) – Harvey Scales
22. Let Me Repair Your Heart – The Mad Lads
23. What’s Usual Seems Natur’l – Eric Mercury
24. I Wanna Make Up (Before We Break Up) – Major Lance

CD 2
1. Ain’t That Loving You (For More Reasons Than One) – Isaac Hayes/David Porter
2. Walking the Back Streets And Crying – Little Milton
3. Save Us – William Bell
4. 6-3-8 – Rufus Thomas
5. Starting All Over Again – Mel & Tim
6. Keep On Loving Me – Stefan
7. I’m Afraid the Masquerade Is Over – David Porter
8. Goin’ Down Slow (Parts 1 & 2) – Little Sonny
9. I Could Never Be Happy – The Emotions
10. Don’t Take My Kindness For Weakness – The Soul Children
11. I’ll Play the Blues For You (Part 1) – Albert King
12. I Dedicate My Life to You – Roger Hatcher
13. Do The Sweetback – March Wind
14. Gettin’ Funky ‘Round Here – Black Nasty
15. When the Chips Are Down – David Porter
16. Sugar – Carla Thomas
17. You’re Good Enough (To Be My Baby) – Eddie Floyd
18. This World – The Staple Singers
19. Helping Man – Jean Knight
20. Ain’t I Good? – John Kasandra

CD 3

1. Dance, Dance, Dance (Part 1) – The Bar-Keys
2. Dedicated to The One I Love – The Temprees
3. Toast to the Fool – The Dramatics
4. Stop Doggin’ Me – Johnnie Taylor
5. Trouble – Frederick Knight
6. I’m Gonna Cry a River – Little Milton
7. Itch and Scratch (Part 1) – Rufus Thomas
8. What Would I Do – Ernie Hines
9. I Know It’s Not Right (To Be in Love with a Married Man) – Veda Brown
10. Holy Cow – Stefan
11. What Goes Around (Must Come Around) – Sons Of Slum
12. Theme from ‘The Men’ (Instr.) – Isaac Hayes
13. Endlessly – Mavis Staples
14. You Hurt Me for the Last Time – Inez Foxx
15. My Sweet Lord – John Gary Williams
16. Breaking Up Somebody’s Home – Albert King
17. How Can You Mistreat the One You Love – Katie Love
18. From Toys to Boys – The Emotions
19. The Dryer (Vocal) (Part 1) – Roy Lee Johnson & The Villagers
20. I May Not Be All You Want (But I’m All You Got) – Carla Thomas
21. Ain’t No Sweat – Major Lance
22. Do Me – Jean Knight
23. Rainy Day – Little Milton

CD 4
1. It Ain’t Always What You Do (It’s Who You Let See You Do It) – The Soul Children
2. I May Not Be What You Want – Mel & Tim
3. Funky Robot (Part 1) – Rufus Thomas
4. Don’t You Fool with My Soul (Part 1) – Johnnie Taylor
5. Oh La De Da – The Staple Singers
6. What Do You See in Her? – Hot Sauce
7. A Thousand Miles Away – The Temprees
8. Hey You! Get Off My Mountain – The Dramatics
9. Rolling Down a Mountainside – Isaac Hayes
10. You’re Still My Brother – The Bar-Keys
11. Stop Half Loving These Women – Jimmy Lewis
12. Lovin’ On Borrowed Time – William Bell
13. Lay Your Loving On Me – Eddie Floyd
14. The Time – Inez Foxx
15. Heaven Knows – Mel & Tim
16. I Believe In You (You Believe in Me) – Johnnie Taylor
17. Short Stopping – Veda Brown
18. Be What You Are – The Staple Singers
19. I’ve Got to Love Somebody’s Baby – Stefan
20. Playing On Me – Albert King
21. Long As You’re The One Somebody in the World – David Porter

CD 5

1. This Is My Song of Love to You – Frederick Knight
2. Sugarcane – The MGs
3. Love Is a Hurtin’ Thing – The Soul Children
4. Baby, Lay Your Head Down (Gently On My Bed) – Eddie Floyd
5. Check Me Out – Eddie Floyd
6. Running Back (And Forth) – The Emotions
7. Crossing Over the Bridge – Inez Foxx
8. Love’s Maze – The Temprees
9. It Ain’t Easy – The Bar-Keys
10. Love Among People – Carla Thomas
11. What It Is – Little Milton
12. I’ve Got to Go On Without You – William Bell
13. Love Is Taking Over – Eric Mercury
14. Ruby Dean – Joe Hicks
15. I’m So Glad I Fell in Love with You – The Mad Lads
16. Fell for You – The Dramatics
17. Cheaper to Keep Her – Johnnie Taylor
18. I Know You Don’t Want Me No More – Rufus Thomas
19. If You’re Ready (Come Go with Me) – The Staple Singers
20. Slipped and Tripped – The Sweet Inspirations
21. Peace Be Still – The Emotions
22. I’ll Be the Other Woman – The Soul Children

CD 6

1. The Martian Hop – The Newcomers
2. I Had a Talk with My Man – Inez Foxx
3. At Last – The Temprees
4. Joy (Part 1) – Isaac Hayes
5. Good Woman Turning Bad – Hot Sauce
6. Mose (Part 3) – John Kasandra
7. I’ll Be Your Santa Baby – Rufus Thomas
8. I Wanna Do Things for You – Eddie Floyd
9. That’s What the Blues Is All About – Albert King
10. One Way Love Affair – Carolyn Hurley
11. Tin Pan Alley – Little Milton
12. The Funky Bird – Rufus Thomas
13. We’re Getting Careless with Our Love – Johnnie Taylor
14. What Do the Lonely Do at Christmas – The Emotions
15. Season’s Greetings – Cix Bits
16. Don’t Lose Your Faith in Me Lord – Eric Mercury
17. Don’t Start Loving Me (If You’re Gonna Stop) – Veda Brown
18. Touch a Hand, Make a Friend – The Staple Singers
19. And I Panicked – The Dramatics
20. Change It All – Joy Fleiming

CD 7
1. Gettin’ What You Want (Losin’ What You Got) – William Bell
2. He’s Mine – Jacqui Verdell
3. My Woman Is Good to Me – Little Sonny
4. I Got You and I’m Glad – David Porter
5. Put A Little Love Away – The Emotions
6. Suzy – Frederick Knight
7. The Same Folks – Mel & Tim
8. You Make the Sunshine – The Temprees
9. The Whole Damn World Is Going Crazy – John Gary Williams
10. Circuit’s Overloaded – Inez Foxx
11. Wonderful – Isaac Hayes
12. Behind Closed Doors – Little Milton
13. Guess Who – Eddie Floyd
14. Dirty Tricks – The Sweet Inspirations
15. Whicha Way Did It Go – Roebuck ‘Pops’ Staples
16. Talking to the People – Black Nasty
17. I’ve Been Born Again – Johnnie Taylor
18. Neckbone – The MGs
19. Wounded Woman – Sandra Wright
20. Stop Doggin’ Me – Hot Sauce
21. Goodness Gracious – Kim Weston

CD 8
1. City in the Sky – The Staple Singers
2. Title Theme – Isaac Hayes
3. Soul Street – Eddie Floyd
4. Flat Tire – Albert King
5. Love Makes It Right – The Soul Children
6. Mr. Cool That Ain’t Cool – The Temprees
7. Boogie Ain’t Nuttin’ (But Gettin’ Down) (Part 1) – Rufus Thomas
8. Highway to Heaven – Ron Banks & The Dramatics
9. Get It While It’s Hot – William Bell
10. Passing Thru – Frederick Knight
11. Keep an Eye On Your Close Friends – The Newcomers
12. My Main Man/There Is a God – The Staple Singers
13. That’s the Way I Want to Live My Life – Mel & Tim
14. Forever and a Day – Mel & Tim
15. Baby, I’m Through – The Emotions
16. It’s September – Johnnie Taylor
17. Woman to Woman – Shirley Brown
18. Did You Hear Yourself (Part 1) – Randy Brown & Company
19. You Need a Friend Like Mine – Annette Thomas
20. I Love, I Love – The Temprees
21. Let Me Back In – Little Milton

CD 9
1. Crosscut Saw – Albert King
2. Coldblooded – The Bar-Keys
3. Bump Meat – Sir Mack Rice
4. (Too Little in Common to Be Lovers) Too Much Going to Say Goodbye – The Newcomers
5. Bump and Boogie (Part 1) – The Wrecking Crew
6. What’s Happening Baby (Part 1) – The Soul Children
7. Who Made the Man – The Staple Singers
8. I Keep Thinking to Myself – Brook Benton
9. I Got a Reason to Smile (Cause I Got You) – Eddie Floyd
10. Try to Leave Me If You Can (I Bet You Can’t Do It) – Bessie Banks
11. Burning On Both Ends – Willie Singleton
12. There Are More Questions Than Answers – The Emotions
13. Santa Claus Wants Some Lovin’ – Albert King
14. I Can’t Let You Go – Hot Sauce
15. I Betcha Didn’t Know That – Frederick Knight
16. Lovin’ You, Lovin’ Me – Sandra Wright
17. Do the Double Bump – Rufus Thomas
18. Come and Get Your Love – The Temprees
19. Dark Skin Woman (Part 1) – Sir Mack Rice
20. It Ain’t No Fun – Shirley Brown
21. If You Talk in Your Sleep – Little Milton
22. Talk to the Man – Eddie Floyd

CD10
1. You’re Astounding – Barbara & Joe
2. Dy-No-Mite (Did You Say My Love) – The Green Brothers
3. Boom-A-Rang – The Dynamic Soul Machine
4. Come What May – John Gary Williams
5. Try Me Tonight – Johnnie Taylor
6. Groovin’ On My Baby’s Love – Freddie Waters
7. I Can’t Shake Your Love (Can’t Shake You Loose) – The Fiestas
8. I Wanna Play with You – Frederick Knight
9. I’m Doing Fine – Albert King
10. No Way (I Can Live Without You) – Teresa Davis
11. Back Road Into Town – The Staple Singers
12. I’m So Glad I Met You – Eddie Floyd
13. Packed Up and Took My Mind – Little Milton
14. Just Keep On Loving Me – Johnnie Taylor
15. How Can I Be a Witness – R.B. Hudmon
16. Jump Back ’75 (Part 1) – Rufus Thomas
17. I Got to Be Myself – The Staple Singers
18. It’s Worth A Whippin’ – Shirley Brown
19. Holy Ghost (Part 1) – The Bar-Keys

=============================================================
=============================================================

No comments:

Post a Comment