Friday, November 1, 2019

VA - Sailing, 75 Yacht Rock Favorites CD1+CD2+CD3 (A Butterboy Compilation)




YACHT ROCK

VA - Sailing, 75 Yacht Rock Favorites CD1+CD2+CD3 (A Butterboy Compilation)


Yacht rock (originally known as the West Coast Sound or adult-oriented rock is a broad music style and aesthetic identified with soft rock. The term "yacht rock" did not exist while the genre was active, from about 1975 to 1984.  It was one of the commercially successful genres of its era. It became known as Yacht Rock in 2005, when the term was coined in J. D. Ryznar et al's online video series of the same name. Understood as a pejorative term, Yacht Rock referred, in part, to a stereotypical yuppie yacht owner enjoying smooth music while sailing. Many yacht rockers included nautical references in their lyrics  

Drawing on sources such as smooth soul, smooth jazz, R&B, funk, and disco, common stylistic traits include high-quality production, clean vocals, and a focus on light, catchy melodies. Its name, coined in 2005 by the makers of the online video series Yacht Rock, was derived from its association with the popular Southern Californian leisure activity of sailing. (Wikipedia)


Here are 75 Yacht Rock songs that live up to that sound. Enjoy!

===========================================================

VA - Sailing, 75 Yacht Rock Favorites (A Butterboy Compilation) ALL
https://pixeldrain.com/u/kafgQuBe

===========================================================

Track list

01    Christopher Cross - Sailing    4:17
02    Pablo Cruise - Love Will Find a Way    4:11
03    Art Garfunkel - Sail on a Rainbow    3:36
04    Jim Photoglo - We Were Meant to Be Lovers    4:05
05    Terence Boylan - Don't Hang Up Those Dancing Shoes    3:28
06    Player - Baby Come Back    3:38
07    JD Souther - Go Ahead and Rain    3:31
08    Bill Labounty - Livin' it Up    4:22
09    America - You Can Do Magic    3:56
10    George Benson - Breezin'    5:41
11    Doobie Brothers - What a Fool Believes    3:39
12    Larsen-Feiten Band - Who'll Be the Fool Tonight    4:10
13    Seals and Crofts - Get Closer    3:57
14    Kenny Loggins - This is It    3:59
15    Little River Band - Cool Change    4:08
16    Robbie Dupree - Steal Away    3:26
17    Dane Donohue - Woman    3:53
18    Pages - You Need a Hero    3:43
19    Ambrosia - Biggest Part of Me    5:26
20    Rupert Holmes - Escape (The Pina Colada Song)    3:53
21    Steely Dan - Hey Nineteen    4:58
22    Roger Voudouris - Get Used to It    3:00
23    Sanford Townsend Band - Smoke From a Distant Fire    3:31
24    Jerry Corbetta - Sensitive Soul    3:22
25    Commodores - Easy    4:51

Track list 2


26    Toto - Rosanna    5:31
27    Ted Gardestad - Blue Virgin Isle    4:56
28    Bertie Higgins - Key Largo    3:19
29    Maxus - Nobody's Business    3:21
30    Marc Jordan - Release Yourself    4:15
31    Jon Anderson - Hold on to Love    3:58
32    Randy Goodrum - Fool's Paradise    3:58
33    Benny Mardones - Into the Night    4:32
34    John O'banion - Love You Like I Never Loved Before    3:22
35    Eagles - I Can't Tell You Why    4:55
36    Al Jarreau - Your Sweet Love    4:14
37    Little Feat - Long Distance Love    2:43
38    Walter Egan - Magnet and Steel    3:25
39    David Gates - Sail Around the World    3:19
40    Herb Alpert - Rise    3:54
41    Daryl Hall & John Oates - Kiss on My List    4:24
42    Brenda Russell - Two Eyes    3:18
43    Leon Ware - Why I Came to California    4:09
44    White Lion - When the Children Cry    4:23
45    Sammy Johns - Chevy Van    2:59
46    Bread - Everything I Own    3:06
47    Peter Cetera - Glory of Love    4:18
48    Andrew Gold - Lonely Boy    4:02
49    Nielson & Pearson - If You Should Sail    3:29
50    Michael Jackson - Human Nature    4:05

Track list 3

51    Boz Scaggs - Lowdown (Unplugged)    5:36
52    Grover Washington Jr. - Just the Two of Us    7:16
53    Bugatti & Musker - So Much in Love    4:19
54    Jay Graydon - Roxann    4:44
55    Dan Fogelberg - Heart Hotels    4:16
56    England Dan & John Ford Coley - We'll Never Have to Say Goodbye Again    2:52
57    Bob Welch - Sentimental Lady    2:56
58    Stephen Bishop - On and On    3:01
59    Randy Vanwarmer - Just When I Needed You Most    4:01
60    Jay Ferguson - Thunder Island    3:31
61    Michael McDonald - I Keep Forgettin' (Every Time You're Near)    3:42
62    Al Stewart - Time Passages    4:40
63    Firefall - You Are the Woman    2:46
64    Chicago - Song for You    3:41
65    Poco - Crazy Love    2:56
66    Chuck Mangione - Feels So Good    9:07
67    Gino Vannelli - I Just Wanna Stop    3:36
68    Larry Carlton - The Magician    4:15
69    Starbuck    Moonlight Feels Right    3:37
70    Turley Richards - You Might Need Somebody    3:36
71    Orleans - Dance With Me    3:02
72    Climax Blues Band - Couldn't Get it Right    3:18
73    Loggins & Messina    Sailin the Wind    6:08
74    Airplay - Nothin' You Can Do About It    4:47
75    Christopher Cross - Ride Like the Wind    4:35

=============================================================
=============================================================

14 comments:

  1. Thanks,
    another Butterboy compilation to be discovered!
    Regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Il Commendatore
      I've had this ready for a while and am glad its out there.
      Enjoy the music.

      Cheers

      Delete
  2. aussie says thank you to the King

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim Photoglo - Steal Away (8D Audio)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUGGJ8eABOI

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi deux.
    Thank you for the link to this artists music.Beautiful.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yo B.B.

    You are as knowledgeable about a wide breadth of music as anyone I've come across on the internet. I'm not blowing smoke up your ass, I visit a lot of music websites...
    Anyway, a few nights ago, it was late, it was dark, it was quiet. I poured a very good brandy and qued up Betty Carter doing "I'm Yours..You're Mine" (I have a very decent stereo set up). I don't like a lot of Betty Carter, but that song really "works" for me in that kind of setting.
    There are others... I have a 12 min. version of Christo Redemptor by Charlie Musslewhite that comes to mind... but it occurred to me to see if you have any thoughts about a "set" of songs that would fit under the heading of "Quiet Contemplation..A dark quiet night, a good brandy and..."

    I purposely chose to comment here because it is rather old and probably doesn't get many looks...
    Do u have an email address where I can discuss stuff like this in an "off-line" setting rather than as a public comment.
    (ufmm@cox.net)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Freddy,
    Thanks for your thoughts and kind comments.
    You are always thoughtful in your commentary and it is appreciated.

    I created a compilation of rock songs which I felt was an a good to listen to set of laid back tunes. They work for me. Here is a link:
    https://butterboycompilations.blogspot.com/search?q=laid+back+rock

    Christo Redemptor is a great piece of music. I did a compilation once of that tune. Jazz and Blues versions. Very cool sound.

    I like the idea of a Quiet Contemplation Set. It really depends on what one would quietly contemplate.

    Here is my Butterboy email link. You can leave a message anytime but I generally only look in every few days or so.

    butter2020ap@protonmail.com

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks BB...

    I never really considered Rock music in my "Quiet & Contemplative" set. I tend to lean more to the jazz idiom. Music that in my estimation, to appreciate can ONLY be listened to when other stimuli (Visual or Aural) doesn't intrude and distract... in other words, for me "dark & quiet"

    I'll check it out...

    Along with Carter's "I'm Yours You're Mine, and the 12 min version of Musslewhite's Christo Redemptor, add in Weather Reports "A Remark You Made" and Guaraldi's version of "Since I Fell For You"...
    Listen to those 4 on a quiet, dark evening (Favorite libation an option) and you'll get a sense of what I'm looking for.

    Thanks again my friend...
    Freddy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Freddy,
      I now understand where you are coming from. I have a jazz version of what I will call Quiet and contemplative. I will find Its way to the BB comps in the future. You choice are on it and there are others like Chet Baker - Lets Get Lost and Ibrahim Manlouf - Beirut. I think this will be a beautiful project...

      Cheers.

      Delete
  8. Another fabulous comp. Thanks so much BB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phillip,
      I am happy to hear you are enjoying this music.
      I pay time to sequencing as it will often make or break a compilation.

      Cheers.

      Delete