Monday, January 27, 2020

VA - One Kiss Can Lead To Another Girl Group Sounds Lost And Found [2005] (4 x CD's)




LOST & FOUND GIRL SOUNDS

VA - One Kiss Can Lead To Another Girl Group Sounds Lost And Found [2005]  (4 x CD's)


Girl groups have enchanted humankind since the era of the ancient Greeks, when legend has it the Sirens attempted to lure wayfarers Odysseus and Jason to their fates; Persephone's chanteuses would eventually even lose a battle of the bands to the Muses. A couple millennia later, female singers would become a dominant force in the pop and rock of the ?60s, the era anthologized on this four-disc, 120-track collection from Rhino.  Ah, girl groups. Who doesn't like them? Especially if they're the teeny-bopper, bubble-gum classics from the 1960s. This compilation of girl-group sounds will enable you to relive a past era when chiffon dresses and hair done up in beehives were all the rage. If, like me, you didn't get to experience this music from the fairer gender firsthand, then it will help you realize a unique genre of 60s pop music. Many of the musical gems in this collection were either songs that were passed over by radio stations, or B-side tunes that didn't chart well and were rarely heard; a few were chart toppers or otherwise fared well on the hit parade. In either case, these short, mostly 2-1/2-minute-long mini soap operas (mostly B-sides or released on obscure labels) were largely responsible for defining the unique girl-pop sound that was so popular back in the day. The "Brill Building/Hit Factory" treatment can be heard in many of these tunes.

A note about sound quality: most of the songs in this collection were transferred directly from the original three-track master tapes, with a few transferred from vinyls or acetates when tapes weren't available. While some of these tracks are in stereo, little remastering of any kind was performed. This means you'll hear each song exactly as it sounded when it first hit the airwaves and record stores. Certainly, any remastering of this collection would have destroyed the unique "ambiance" inherent in these recordings. Kudos to Rhino for leaving them alone!

Rhino really outdid themselves on this collection! If you like 60s girl-pop music from such groups and singers then you'll want to indulge in this collection. Highly recommend it if you want to live or relive 60s girl pop in all its glory, from the first notes of its childhood to the last chords of its maturity. "One Kiss Leads to Another" is one collection you won't want to miss! (Amazon)


===========================================================

VA - One Kiss Can Lead To Another Girl Group Sounds Lost And Found [2005] CD1+CD2

https://www98.zippyshare.com/v/lSmOU80e/file.html

VA - One Kiss Can Lead To Another Girl Group Sounds Lost And Found [2005] CD3+CD4

https://www98.zippyshare.com/v/uPrOn555/file.html

===========================================================

Track Lists

CD1


01    Velvelettes    Needle In A Haystack    2:32
02    Exciters    He's Got The Power    2:22
03    Chiffons    Nobody Knows What's Goin' On (In My Mind But Me)    2:25
04    Donna Lynn    I'd Much Rather Be With The Girls    2:23
05    Little Eva    Keep Your Hands Off My Baby    2:38
06    Flirtations    Nothing But A Heartache    2:44
07    Ellie Greenwich    You Don't Know    3:15
08    Shirelles    Boys    2:08
09    Cathy Saint    Big Bad World    2:38
10    Shangri-Las    Out In The Streets    2:45
11    Brenda Lee    Is It True    2:24
12    Cinderellas    Please Don't Wake Me    2:42
13    Marvelettes    I'll Keep Holding On    2:28
14    Maxine Brown    Oh No Not My Baby    2:37
15    Toys    May My Heart Be Cast Into Stone    2:43
16    Dusty Springfield    Magic Garden    3:26
17    Cookies    I Never Dreamed    2:36
18    Carole King    He's A Bad Boy    2:24
19    Little Frankie    Happy, That's Me    2:03
20    Jackie DeShannon    Dream Boy    2:16
21    Fabulettes    Try The Worryin' Way    2:19
22    Evie Sands    I Can't Let Go    2:15
23    Bessie Banks    Go Now    2:41
24    Dee Dee Warwick    You're No Good    2:28
25    Jewels    Opportunity    2:27
26    Mally Page    Life And Soul Of The Party    2:52
27    Irma Thomas    Break-A-Way    2:33
28    Lesley Gore    What Am I Gonna Do With You    3:15
29    Ronettes    He Did It    2:30
30    Cake    Baby That's Me    2:47

CD2

01    Angels    I Adore Him    2:46
02    Shangri-Las    The Train From Kansas City    3:20
03    Shirelles    Please Go Away    1:48
04    Skeeter Davis    Let Me Get Close To You    2:35
05    Chiffons    I Have A Boyfriend    2:07
06    Earl-Jean    I'm Into Something Good    2:55
07    Lulu    I'll Come Running    3:02
08    Roddy Joy    If There's Anything Else You Want (Let Me Know)    2:17
09    Supremes    When The Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes    2:40
10    Sadina    It Comes And Goes    2:35
11    Cinderella    Baby, Baby (I Still Love You)    2:37
12    Sandie Shaw    Girl Don't Come    2:14
13    Blossoms    That's When The Tears Start    2:25
14    Bitter Sweet    What A Lonely Way To Start The Summertime    2:05
15    Dolly Parton    Don't Drop Out    2:31
16    Honeys    The One You Can't Have    1:57
17    Reparata And The Delrons (With Hash Brown And His Orchestra)    I'm Nobody's Baby Now    2:47
18    Dorothy Berry    You're So Fine    2:24
19    Ruby & The Romantics    When You're Young And In Love    2:30
20    Girlfriends    My One And Only Jimmy Boy    2:18
21    Geminis    A Friend Sf Mine    2:45
22    Girls    Chico's Girl    2:36
23    Alder Ray    Cause I Love Him    2:10
24    Mary Wells    Bye Bye Baby    2:54
25    P.P. Arnold    The First Cut Is The Deepest    3:16
26    Tracy Dey    I Won't Tell    2:39
27    Tammys    Egyptian Shumba    2:27
28    Starlets    I Sold My Heart To The Junkman    2:26
29    Goldie And The Gingerbreads    Walking In Different Circles    2:33
30    Young Generation    The Hideaway    2:40

CD3

01    Little Eva    The Trouble With Boys    2:34
02    Pin-Ups    Lookin' For Boys    2:06
03    Cher    Dream Baby    3:00
04    Goodees    Condition Red    2:54
05    Jackie DeShannon    Should I Cry [Alternate Take]    2:21
06    Ikettes    I'm Blue (The Gong-Gong Song)    2:32
07    Cilla Black (With George Martin's Orchestra)    I've Been Wrong Before    2:14
08    Chris Clark    Love's Gone Bad    2:23
09    Whyte Boots    Nightmare    2:47
10    Honey Bees    She Don't Deserve You    2:32
11    Four J's    Will You Be My Love    2:11
12    Evie Sands    Take Me For A Little While    2:29
13    Wanda Jackson    Funnel Of Love    2:10
14    What Four    I'm Gonna Destroy That Boy    2:07
15    Twinkle    Terry    3:12
16    Nita Rossi    Untrue Unfaithful (That Was You)    2:35
17    Goodies    Sophisticated Boom Boom    2:03
18    Reparata & The Delrons    Saturday Night Didn't Happen    2:30
19    Connie Francis    Don't Ever Leave Me    2:47
20    Barbara Lewis    Don't Forget About Me    2:34
21    Emeralds    Wanna Make Him Mine    2:25
22    Cookies    Only To Other People    2:35
23    Shirley Matthews & The Big Town Girls    Big-Town Boy    2:33
24    Satisfactions    Daddy You Gotta Him In    2:53
25    Rev-Lons    After Last Night    2:09
26    Lovelites    How Can I Tell My Mom & Dad    3:22
27    Darnells    Too Hurt To Cry, Too Much In Love To Say Goodbye    2:19
28    Luv'd Ones    Up Down Sue    2:07
29    Twiggy    When I Think Of You    2:10
30    Blossoms    Good, Good Lovin'    2:45

CD4

01    Four Pennies    When The Boy's Happy (The Girl's Happy Too)    2:16
02    Susan Lynne    Don't Drag No More    2:34
03    Dawn    I'm Afraid They're All Talking About Me    2:50
04    Breakaways    That's How It Goes    2:27
05    Honey Bees    Some Of Your Lovin'    3:13
06    Marsha Gee    Peanut Duck    2:50
07    Peanut    Thank Goodness For The Rain    2:21
08    April Young    Steady Boyfriend    2:22
09    Velvelettes    He Was Really Sayin' Somethin'    2:33
10    Julie Driscoll    I Know You Love Me Not    3:24
11    Maxine Brown    Whatever Happened To Our Love    2:00
12    Petula Clark    Heart    2:37
13    Syreeta Wright    I Can't Give Back The Love I Feel For You    2:40
14    Hollywood Jills    He Makes Me So Mad    2:26
15    Dusty Springfield    I Can't Wait Until I See My Baby's Face    2:42
16    Carole King    Crying In The Rain    1:53
17    Sylvan    We Don't Belong    2:12
18    Madeline Bell    You Don't Love Me No More    2:03
19    Marie Knight    Hey, Tell Me Boy    2:38
20    Lesley Gore    Brink Of Disaster    2:25
21    Sapphires    Who Do You Love    2:43
22    Toni Basil    I'm 28    2:28
23    Gayle Harris    They Never Taught That In School    2:22
24    Pussycats    Dressed In Black    2:43
25    Ribbons    Ain't Gonna Kiss Ya    2:27
26    Brenda Holloway    Every Little Bit Hurts (Del-Fi Version)    3:09
27    Yvonne Carroll    Mister Loveman    2:16
28    Palisades    Make The Night A Little Longer    2:30
29    Patty & The Emblems    Mixed Up, Shook Up, Girl (Live)    2:11
30    Butterflys    Good Night Baby    2:37

=============================================================
=============================================================

13 comments:

  1. Thank you Sir, for your commitment to enlarging my collection and appreciation of good music. The news here is full of news about your country burning, I hope you and yours are safe and I pray for your land. Be well my far off Friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi deadmandeadman,

      Thank you for your kind words of care and compassion.

      I fortunately have not been effected but a number of friends has lived through these horrors. People here are resilient and as long as their life is in tact the rest can be rebuilt. Lots of loss to wildlife which will take time to repopulate. We can get to shelter the animals often can't. Like you out thoughts are with those effected. Thank you again.

      Cheers

      Delete
  2. I didn't realize you are in Australia but I will also offer my best wishes for everyone affected by this disaster. Obviously, I feel for the people first but the videos of the poor animals is gut wrenching. Prayers up for all of you. Now, thanks for this most awesome set of girl groups. There were a fair number I didn't know and some I recognized but had forgotten the artist. Most appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi hotrodmike.
      Girl groups have a truly special sound. I enjoy them very much. This box set is lovely.

      Thank you for you thoughts regarding the bush fires in Australia. It a terrible situation for a lot of people.

      Cheers

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Hi djmcblues2.
      You are always welcome. This is a wonderful box set. Hope you will enjoy it.

      Cheers.

      Delete
  4. BB, I did not know you were located in Australia either, not that it makes any difference, but that's very cool. These days we can be anywhere and that is a truly great thing! I'm sure my US perspective comments gave me away. Not to pry but out of sheer curiosity, how did you obtain such a tremendous exposure to and understanding of American popular music? Is it that prevalent in Australia? I think America has been very isolated musically from the rest of the world, and have wished otherwise. Music and styles thereof are different among world regions, and thanks to the internet, we can learn of and appreciate more from around the globe. If the words are foreign I wish I knew what they what they were singing, but it still doesn't take away the enjoyment of a good tune or melody. Now for some reason your usual salutation seems so perfectly logical and personal. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The world has definitely been made smaller due to music, together with the ability to travel cheaply. It took many years to see some great international acts in Australia due to geographical distance. Thankfully those days are gone we can see anyone these days. Those who did come got a good look in by me over the last 45 years.

      In Australia we grew up with music from the UK and USA. So it natural for us to have a great appreciation for these bands. Australian Acts often emulated what they heard but also because of their geography developed a sound unique to Australia. Of course there are influences but still Australian music is quite original and different to UK/USA sounds.

      My neighbor was a huge Beatles fan and his sister was an Elvis fan, They started me off at an early age. I remember the Elvis records she had given to me, A box of 45's about 30 singles, which I played often., As Elvis didn't really write his own songs I gained an appreciation for songwriting styles which was always accompanied by great tunes and melodies. I started collecting records proper when I was 14YO. In time I amassed of collection totaling over 85,000 albums. Over the years I disposed of many albums (Sadly) and generated a lot of digital files that could of been recorded better. Still its the music that drives my mood. I am still amazed how much music is still new to me. I still buy music and often look for current music. There is some fantastic Indie and folk music out there.

      I always keep and open mind with music, i have very eclectic tastes. When I was 10-15 I could name a few bands that I favoured (not much breadth in music style). By my mid thirties I had a great selection of material , always exploring new sounds and artists from around the globe. Choosing a favorite artist then became more difficult. Now into my sixties I cant really say what is a favorite but I do now what excites me when I listen too it. Of course you will get some idea of what I listen to by the posts here. I enjoy all decades and genres although some are played more than others.

      I have been fortunate that I have traveled throughout world and had the exposure to many cultures and much great music. Your comment "If the words are foreign I wish I knew what they what they were singing, but it still doesn't take away the enjoyment of a good tune or melody." really resonates. When I did the Italian Progressive Rock set (posted on this blog) I felt the same. Don't know what is being sung, but due to their phrasing and melodies, there is an understanding.

      Music really is a language for all to communicate with.

      Cheers

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your detailed and insightful reply.
      I thought my collection was big... JEEPERS!

      Delete
    3. JEEPERS, I think I have that one... :)

      On a serious note, I always look forward to your comments as they open my eyes and ears. You have a keen love of music and that is clear. Thanks for always being Kind.

      Cheers.

      Cheers

      Delete
  5. A great collection that strays from the same-old same-old! I've become a big "girl-group" fan over the last few years. Looking forward to this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, the 'hat-box' box! Thanks for sharing, BB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paolo , Enjoy the music found under the hat.

      Cheers.

      Delete