Friday, June 2, 2023

VA - In The Charts JUNE1963 (A Butterboy Compilation) CD1+CD2+CD3

IN THE CHARTS, JUNE 1963

VA - In The Charts JUNE 1963 (A Butterboy Compilation) CD1+CD2+CD3

This continues the series "In The Charts 1963" ... visiting the tracks that are familiar and forgotten.

All these tracks were in the US and/or UK charts in JUNE 1963. 

It seems like yesterday we were dancing to these tunes. I hope you enjoy this mix of artists from USA and UK. 

I hope you have enjoyed all of the sometimes-forgotten tracks from 1963.

==========================================================

ALL 

or

ALL 

==========================================================

Track lists

CD1

01 Elvis Presley - You're The Devil In Disguise 2:23

02 Mark Wynter - Shy Girl 2:21

03 Ben E. King - I (Who Have Nothing) 2:27

04 Del Shannon - From Me To You 1:56

05 Four Pennies - My Block 2:41

06 Dee Dee Sharp - Rock Me In The Cradle Of Love 2:18

07 Ray Charles - Without Love (There Is Nothing) 3:35

08 Crickets - Don't Try To Change Me 2:07

09 Doris Troy - Just One Look 2:30

10 James Macarthur - Ten Commandments Of Love 2:26

11 Essex - Easier Said Than Done 2:11

12 Chubby Checker - Black Cloud 2:21

13 Brook Benton - My True Confession 2:31

14 Drifters - Rat Race 2:12

15 Little Eva - Old Smokey Locomotion 2:31

16 Bob B. Soxx And The Blue Jeans - Not Too Young To Get Married 2:30

17 Dion - Come Go With Me 2:53

18 Shirelles - Don’t Say Goodnight And Mean Goodbye 2:50

19 Everly Brothers - It's Been Nice (Goodnight) 2:05

20 Little Stevie Wonder - Fingertips (Part 2) 3:11


CD2

21 Tymes - So Much In Love 2:23

22 Ray Charles - No One 3:08

23 Classics - Till Then 2:17

24 Randy & The Rainbows - Denise 1:58

25 Joe Hinton - You Know It Ain't Right 2:23

26 Frankie Vaughan - Hey Mama 1:57

27 Inez And Charlie Foxx - Mockingbird 2:38

28 Eydie Gormé - Don't Try To Fight It, Baby (Mono) 2:20

29 Kirby St. Romain - Summer's Comin' 1:58

30 Exciters - Get Him 1:59

31 Rocky Fellers - Like The Big Guys Do 2:12

32 Bobby ''boris'' Pickett - Graduation Day 2:17

33 Orlons - Not Me 2:29

34 Paul & Paula - First Quarrel 2:35

35 Bobby Vee - Be True To Yourself 2:05

36 Little Peggy March - I Wish I Were A Princess 2:19

37 Andy Williams - Hopeless 2:37

38 Percy Mayfield - The River's Invitation 2:51

39 Fleetwoods - Goodnight My Love 2:23

40 Ray Stevens - Harry The Hairy Ape 2:48


CD3

41 Perry Como - (I Love You) & Don't You Forget It 2:24

42 Patti Page - Say Wonderful Things 2:19

43 Tony Bennett - Spring In Manhattan 2:32

44 Ray Peterson - Give Us Your Blessing 2:55

45 George Hamilton Iv - Abilene 2:13

46 Johnny Cash - Ring Of Fire 2:38

47 Dave Dudley - Six Days On The Road 2:21

48 Bobby Bare - Detroit City 2:51

49 Brian Hyland - I'm Afraid To Go Home 2:44

50 Roy Clark - The Tip Of My Fingers 2:51

51 Peter, Paul And Mary - Blowin-In-The-Wind 2:55

52 New Christy Minstrels - Green Green 2:10

53 Glencoves - Hootenanny 2:08

54 Tom Glazer & The Do-Re-Mi Children’s Choir - On Top Of Spaghetti 2:41

55 Count Basie - I Can't Stop Loving You 4:34

56 Henry Mancini And His Orchestra - Banzai Pipeline 2:36

57 Mongo Santamaria - Yeh Yeh 2:05

58 Surfaris - Wipeout 2:39

59 Lonnie Mack - Memphis 2:28

60 Link Wray & The Wraymen - Jack The Ripper 2:23

=============================================================

=============================================================




12 comments:

  1. The English stuff I know and can sing along too, but the American stuff, wow its so weird. James Macarthur really, the guy from Five-Oh. I will enjoy this bunch. Thanks a lot for the waking my memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi lemonflag.
      1963 was an interesting year for music. Many of these spark good memories for me. Enjoy!
      Cheers.

      Delete
  2. All cool...Please check out a man included here who is still making great music...in his 80's - Dion...He's playing graet Blues nowadays!

    Cheers
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephen.
      I am always thrilled when I hear Dion especially when he is older.
      Cheers.

      Delete
  3. Very nice. Out of interest which magazine's charts are you taking these from please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paul.
      Multiple lists and articles are used to reference these.
      UK Official Singles Chart Top 50, Tunecaster, Billboard, Wikipedia and memory are just some.
      Cheers.

      Delete
  4. Many thanks again BB, this collection is growing slowly but surely. 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi headspace,
      Often, I have these comps on repeat for a few run throughs. I always seem to hear new sounds even though I know the tracks. Enjoy.
      Cheers.

      Delete
  5. I will be 117 years old next month, and I still remember some of these as the best damn records ever made! Which ones, you ask? I ask the same question. I'm not kidding, which ones? Ah, I remember now: Bob B. Soxx & the Blue Jeans' "Not Too Young To Get Married" gets better every decade. As do most hits from the day that sold on the strength of Darlene Love's uncredited vocals, dagnabbit. Meanwhile, Inez & Charlie Foxx's "Mockingbird" gets remade every decade, sometimes almost as successfully (Dusty Springfield at the '64 NMEs comes to mind), and sometimes much less so (James and Carly, STFU and sit the F down, as we used to say on perimeter watch, I forget which war.) Yeah, a lotta hits. Most of 'em missed the perimeter, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Johnathan.
      Are you 117 years old? My, the musical changes you must have heard and enjoyed in your lifetime.
      It makes me happy to hear you are enjoying this series and that it brings you fond memories.
      Cheers.

      Delete
    2. Nah, I'm just funnin' with ya. I'm your basic early Boomer, so used to being the oldest person in any exchange like this that I thought I'd exaggerate a bit more. But I sure remember 1963 very well: I tend to think it was the most productive year in rock history prior to the Beatles, in terms of the proportion of significant hit singles that have stood the test of time. The foundational days of '56, '57 were massively significant, but the hits we remember didn't represent much of the total tonnage of charted discs, which on the white pop charts was still heavily weighted toward slushy pop and C&W crossovers, with little rock 'n' roll and less R&B. But by '63, as you show here, genres were starting to mix up nicely and naturally ... fortunately for the Beatles, who had a wealth of Motown and other chart-toppers to mine for their live sets and early LPs!

      Delete