Friday, June 23, 2023

VA - The Complete Stax Volt Singles 1959-1975, Volume 1-3 [1991-1994] (28 x CD's)

STAX VOLT 1959-1975

VA - The Complete Stax Volt Singles 1959-1975, Volume 1-3 [1991-1994] (28 x CD's)

VA - The Complete Stax-Volt Singles 1959-1968 Volume 1 [1991] (9 x CD's)
At nine discs and 244 tracks, The Complete Stax-Volt Singles: 1959-1968 is far too exhaustive for casual fans, but that's not who the set is designed for -- it's made for the collector. Featuring every A-side the label released during those nine years, as well as several B-sides, the set is a definitive portrait of gritty, deep Southern soul. Many of the genre's major names -- Otis Redding, Sam & Dave, Carla Thomas, Booker T. & the MG's, William Bell, Rufus Thomas, the Bar-Kays, Albert King -- plus many terrific one-shot wonders are showcased in terrific sound and augmented with an in-depth booklet. For any serious soul or rock collector, it's an essential set, since Stax-Volt was not only a musically revolutionary label, its roster was deep with talent, which means much of the music on this collection is first-rate. But if you only want the hits, you'll be better off with a smaller collection, since too much of this set will sound too similar, and sorting through the nine discs will be a monumental task if you only want to hear Otis, Rufus, Carla, and Sam & Dave. ( AllMusic Review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine)

Volume 1  was inititially part of 3 huge Box Sets covering the entire Stax/Volt singles output between 1959 and 1975 – "The Complete Stax/Volt Singles 1959-1968" and originally came out as a clunky but beautiful 9CD Album-Sized 12" x 12" Box Set way back in the mists of April 1991. That what this one is from. I will follow up with Volumes 2 & 3 sets soon. Enjoy!

VA - The Complete Stax Volt Singles 1968-1971, Volume 2 [1993] (9 x CD's)
Part two of the definitive collection of the great Memphis soul label, Stax, focuses on the post-Atlantic years, 1968 through 1971, when Stax began its transition from a small, down-home enterprise to a corporate soul powerhouse. Vol. 2 contains all soul singles issued by Stax/Volt during that time period, and features some of the biggest hits of the day, as well as a number of little-known gems by both major and less familiar artists. (Amazon)

VA - The Complete Stax Volt Singles 1972-1975, Volume 3 [1994] (10 x CD's)
STAX Soul Singles Complete Volume 3" (3 of 3) spanning the final years of the famous Soul Label's output between 1972 and 1975 first appeared in 1994 in a garish orange-coloured 12" x 12" Box set to very mixed reviews. With 10-discs and a whopping 213-tracks – it was extensive for sure.

The third and final chapter of the definitive collection of the great Memphis soul label Stax focuses on the early-mid 1970s.
During those four years, the label was winding down, since it was unable to successfully make the transition from gritty soul to smoother soul and disco. Their older artists couldn’t handle the newer sound, and the newer artists were generally saddled with undistinguished songs. In other words, there weren’t many great singles from this era, which is what makes listening to The Complete Stax-Volt Soul Singles, Volume 3: 1972-1975 interesting. While the sound of the set is pleasant, evoking both the funky and smooth soul of the early ’70s quite well, the songs and the performances aren’t particularly noteworthy. There’s about a disc and a half worth of prime material scattered across this set, and only die-hard collectors and fetishists will have the patience to find them. Still, those dedicated listeners will find the box a nice way to conclude the series, since it is a well-produced and comprehensive set, even if the music itself is uneven. (Amazon)

===========================================================


          

===========================================================

Track lists

The Complete Stax-Volt Singles 1959-1968 Volume 1

CD1

  1. Fool In Love - Veltones
  2. 'Cause I Love You - Carla & Rufus
  3. Gee Whiz - Carla Thomas
  4. You Make Me Feel So Good - The Chips
  5. A Love Of My Own - Carla Thomas
  6. Last Night - Mar-Keys
  7. I Didn't Believe - Rufus & Friend
  8. I'm Going Home - Prince Conley
  9. (Mama, Mama) Wish Me Good Luck - Carla Thomas
  10. Morning After - Mar-Keys
  11. The Life I Live - Barbara Stephens
  12. About Noon - Mar-Keys
  13. Burnt Biscuits - Triumphs
  14. I Kinda Think He Does - Carla Thomas
  15. Foxy - Mar-Keys
  16. You Don't Miss Your Water - William Bel
  17. Formula Of Love - William Bell
  18. Goofin' Off - Macy Skipper
  19. Wait A Minute - Barbara Stephens
  20. Sunday Jealous - Nick Charles
  21. That's The Way It Is With Me - Barbara Stephens
  22. No Tears - The Tonettes
  23. Pop-Eye Stroll - Mar-Keys
  24. The Three Dogwoods - Nick Charles
  25. Why Should I Suffer With The Blues - The Canes
  26. Whot's Happenin'! - Mar-Keys
  27. Just Across The Street - The Del-Rios
  28. There's A Love - The Del-Rios
  29. Can't Ever Let You Go - Rufus Thomas

CD2

  1. Green Onions - Booker T. & The MGs
  2. Behave Yourself - Booker T. & The MGs
  3. Any Other Way - William Bell
  4. I'll Bring It Home To You - Carla Thomas
  5. Sack-O-Woe - Mar-Keys
  6. These Arms Of Mine - Otis Redding
  7. Teardrop Sea - The Tonettes
  8. The Dog - Rufus Thomas
  9. Jelly Bread - Booker T. & The MGs
  10. I Told You So - William Bell
  11. Bo-Time - Mar-Keys
  12. Home Grown - Booker T. & The MGs
  13. My Imaginary Guy - Deanie Parker & The Valadors
  14. Just As I Thought - William Bell
  15. What A Fool I've Been - Carla Thomas
  16. The Hawg, Part One - Eddie Kirk
  17. Don't Be Afraid Of Love - Oscar Mack
  18. That's My Guy - Cheryl & Pam Johnson
  19. Chinese Checkers - Booker T. & The MGs
  20. Somebody Mentioned Your Name - William Bell
  21. What Can I Do - Bobby Marchan
  22. That's What My Heart Needs - Otis Redding
  23. What Can It Be - The Astors
  24. Bango - Billy & The King Bees
  25. Them Bones - Eddie Kirk
  26. Walking The Dog - Rufus Thomas
  27. I'll Show You - William Bell

CD3

  1. Pain In My Heart - Otis Redding
  2. Gee Whiz It's Christmas - Carla Thomas
  3. Mo' Onions - Booker T. & The MGs
  4. Frog Stomp - Floyd Newman
  5. Can Your Monkey Do The Dog - Rufus Thomas
  6. You Won't Do Right - Bobby Marchan
  7. Wondering (When My Love Is Coming Home) - The Drapels
  8. Each Step I Take - Deanie Parker
  9. The Honey Dripper - The Van-Dells
  10. Who Will It Be Tomorrow - William Bell
  11. Come To Me - Otis Redding
  12. Don't Leave Me This Way - Otis Redding
  13. I Don't Want You Anymore - Eddie Jefferson
  14. Restless - The Cobras
  15. Somebody Stole My Dog - Rufus Thomas
  16. Big Party - Barbara & The Browns
  17. That's Really Some Good - Rufus & Carla
  18. Night Time Is The Right Time - Rufus & Carla
  19. Security - Otis Redding
  20. Dream Girl - Oscar Mack
  21. Closer To My Baby - Dorothy Williams
  22. I've Got No Time To Lose - Carla Thomas
  23. Young Man - The Drapels
  24. Soul Dressing - Booker T. & The MGs
  25. After Laughter (Comes Tears) - Wendy Rene
  26. Can't Explain How It Happened - Ivory Joe Hunter
  27. Bush Bash - Mar-Keys
  28. Please Return To Me - The Fleets
  29. Frog Stomp

CD4


  1. Jump Back - Rufus Thomas
  2. Chained And Bound - Otis Redding
  3. In My Heart - Barbara & The Browns
  4. Spunky - Johnny Jenkins
  5. Bar B-Q - Wendy Rene
  6. The Sidewalk Surf - Mad Lads
  7. Can't Be Still - Booker T. & The MGs
  8. A Woman's Love - Carla Thomas
  9. Yank Me (Doodle) - Baracudas
  10. That's How Strong My Love Is - Otis Redding
  11. Mr. Pitiful - Otis Redding
  12. Don't Let Her Be Your Baby - Del-Rays
  13. Can't See You When I Want To - David Porter
  14. My Lover - Barbara & The Browns
  15. Got You On My Mind - The Admirals
  16. How Do You Quit (Someone You Love) - Carla Thomas
  17. Biggest Fool In Town - Gorgeous George
  18. Banana Juice - Mar-Keys
  19. Little Sally Walker - Rufus Thomas
  20. A Place Nobody Can Find - Sam & Dave
  21. Goodnight Baby - Sam & Dave
  22. Boot-Leg - Booker T. & The MGs
  23. Outrage - Booker T. & The MGs
  24. I've Been Loving You Too Long (To Stop Now) - Otis Redding
  25. I'm Depending On You - Otis Redding
  26. Candy - Astors
  27. Give You What I Got - Wendy Rene

CD5

  1. Stop! Look What You're Doin' - Carla Thomas
  2. Willy Nilly - Rufus Thomas
  3. Don't Have To Shop Around - Mad Lads
  4. Crying All By Myself - William Bell
  5. I Take What I Want - Sam & Dave
  6. When You Move You Lose - Rufus & Carla
  7. Respect - Otis Redding
  8. Make It Me - The Premiers
  9. The World Is Round - Rufus Thomas
  10. In The Twilight Zone - The Astors
  11. Blue Groove - Sir Isaac & The Do-Dads
  12. You Don't Know Like I Know - Sam & Dave
  13. Grab This Thing (Part 1) - The Mar-Keys
  14. Be My Lady - Booker T. & The MGs
  15. Comfort Me - Carla Thomas
  16. I Can't Turn You Loose - Otis Redding
  17. Just One More Day - Otis Redding
  18. I Want Someone - The Mad Lads
  19. Birds & Bees - Rufus & Carla
  20. Philly Dog - The Mar-Keys
  21. I Had A Dream - Johnnie Taylor
  22. Satisfaction - Otis Redding
  23. Things Get Better - Eddie Floyd
  24. I'll Run Your Hurt Away - Ruby Johnson
  25. Hot Dog - Four Shells
  26. Let Me Good To You - Carla Thomas
  27. Hold On I'm Comin' - Sam and Dave

CD6

  1. Laundromat Blues - Albert King
  2. Sugar Sugar - Mad Lads
  3. Share What You Got (But Keep What You Need) - William Bell
  4. Marching Off To War - William Bell
  5. My Lover's Prayer - Otis Redding
  6. Your Good Thing (Is About To End) - Mable John
  7. I Got to Love Somebody's Baby - Johnnie Taylor
  8. I Want A Girl - Mad Lads
  9. Knock On Wood - Eddie Floyd
  10. B-A-B-Y - Carla Thomas
  11. My Sweet Potato - Booker T. & The MGs
  12. Booker Loo - Booker T. & The MGs
  13. Oh, Pretty Woman - Albert King
  14. Said I Wasn't Gonna Tell Nobody - Sam & Dave
  15. Never Like This Before - William Bell
  16. Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa (Sad Song) - Otis Redding
  17. Patch My Heart - Mad Lads
  18. Sisters' Got A Boyfriend - Rufus Thomas
  19. Come To Me Darling - Ruby Johnson
  20. When My Love Comes Down - Ruby Johnson
  21. Try A Little Tenderness - Otis Redding
  22. Crosscut Saw - Albert King
  23. Little Bluebird - Johnnie Taylor
  24. Toe Hold - Johnnie Taylor
  25. Jingle Bells - Booker T. & The MGs

CD7

  1. You Got Me Hummin' - Sam & Dave
  2. You're Taking Up Another Man's Place - Mable John
  3. All I Want For Christmas Is You - Carla Thomas
  4. Please Uncle Sam (Send Back My Man) - Charmels
  5. Something Good (Is Going To Happen To You) - Carla Thomas
  6. Raise Your Hand - Eddie Floyd
  7. Ain't That Loving You (For More Reasons Than One) - Johnnie Taylor
  8. I Don't Want To Lose Your Love - Mad Lads
  9. When Something Is Wrong With My Baby - Sam & Dave
  10. Let Me Down Slow - Bobby Wilson
  11. Hip Hug - Her - Booker T. & The MGs
  12. Everybody Loves A Winner - William Bell
  13. Mini-Skirt Minnie - Sir Mack Rice
  14. When Tomorrow Comes - Carla Thomas
  15. The Spoiler - Eddie Purrell
  16. I Love You More Than Words Can Say - Otis Redding
  17. If I Ever Needed Love (I Sure Do Need It Now) - Ruby Johnson
  18. Same Time Same Place - Mable John
  19. Tramp - Otis & Carla
  20. Soul Finger - Bar-Kays
  21. Knuckelhead - Bar-Kays
  22. Shake - Otis Redding
  23. Born Under A Bad Sign - Albert King
  24. Soothe Me - Sam & Dave
  25. I Can't Stand Up - Sam & Dave
  26. Don't Rock The Boat - Eddie Floyd

CD8

  1. My Inspiration - Mad Lads
  2. Love Sickness - Sir Mack Rice
  3. Sophisticated Sissy - Rufus Thomas
  4. I'll Always Have Faith In You - Carla Thomas
  5. How Can You Mistreat The One You Love - Jeanne & The Darlings
  6. Love Is Doggone Good Thing - Eddie Floyd
  7. Groovin' - Booker T. & The MGs
  8. Slim Jenkins Place - Booker T. & The MGs
  9. Glory Of Love - Otis Redding
  10. I'm A Big Girl Now - Mable John
  11. Wait You Dog - Mable John
  12. You Can't Get Away From It - Johnnie Taylor
  13. Eloise (Hang On In There) - William Bell
  14. Knock On Wood - Otis & Carla
  15. I'm Glad To Do It - C.L. Blast
  16. C.L. Blast/Double Up - C.L. Blast
  17. You Can't Run Away From Your Heart - Judy Clay
  18. I'll Gladly Take You Back - Charmels
  19. Soul Man - Sam & Dave
  20. Daddy Didn't Tell Me - Astors
  21. Give Everybody Some - Bar-Kays
  22. On A Saturday Night - Eddie Floyd
  23. Don't Hit Me No More - Mable John
  24. Somebody's Sleeping In My Bed - Johnnie Taylor
  25. Winter Snow - Booker T. & The MGs
  26. Every Day Will Be Like A Holiday - William Bell
  27. What'll I Do For Satisfaction - Johnny Daye
  28. Pick Up The Pieces - Carla Thomas

CD9

  1. Down Ta My House - Rufus Thomas
  2. As Long As I've Got You - Charmels
  3. Soul Girl - Jeanne & The Darlings
  4. Cold Feet - Albert King
  5. Wrap It Up - Sam & Dave
  6. Wrap It Up - Sam & Dave
  7. (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay - Otis Redding
  8. Don't Pass Your Judgement - Memphis Nomads
  9. Lovey Dovey - Otis & Carla
  10. I Got A Sure Thing - Ollie & The Nightingales
  11. Big Bird - Eddie Floyd
  12. A Hard Day's Night - Bar-Kays
  13. Next Time - Johnnie Taylor
  14. A Tribute To A King - William Bell
  15. Every Man Ought To Have A Woman - William Bell
  16. Able Mable - Mable John
  17. The Memphis Train - Rufus Thomas
  18. I Think I Made A Boo Boo - Rufus Thomas
  19. What Will Later On Be Like - Jeanne & The Darlings
  20. Hang Me Now - Jeanne & The Darlings
  21. Soul Power - Derek Martin
  22. Bring Your Love Back To Me - Linda Lyndell
  23. A Dime A Dozen - Carla Thomas
  24. Whatever Hurts You - Mad Lads
  25. The Happy Song (Dum Dum) - Otis Redding
  26. (I Love) Lucy - Albert King
  27. I Ain't Particualar - Johnnie Taylor

The Complete Stax Volt Singles 1968-1971, Volume 2

CD1

  1. I Was Born To Love You - Shirley Walton
  2. Precious, Precious - Isaac Hayes
  3. Send Peace And Harmony Home - Shirley Walton
  4. Soul Limbo - Booker T. & The MGs
  5. I've Never Found A Girl (To Love Me Like You Do) - Eddie Floyd
  6. It's Been A Long Time Coming - Delaney/Bonnie
  7. What A Man - Linda Lyndell
  8. I Like Everything About You - Jimmy Hughes
  9. Stay Baby Stay - Johnny Daye
  10. Private Number - Judy Clay/William Bell
  11. So Nice - Mad Lads
  12. Long Walk To D.C. - Staple Singers
  13. Give 'Em Love - Soul Children
  14. Funky Mississippi - Rufus Thomas
  15. Lovin' Feeling - Charmels
  16. Where Do I Go - Carla Thomas
  17. Bed Of Roses - Judy Clay
  18. Bring It On Home To Me - Eddie Floyd
  19. It's Unbelievable (How You Control My Soul) - Jeanne And The Darlings
  20. Who's Making Love - Johnnie Taylor
  21. Mighty Cold Winter - Dino And Doc
  22. Hang 'Em High - Booker T. & The MGs
  23. You're Leaving Me - Ollie/Nightingales
  24. Copy Kat - Bar-Kays
  25. I Forgot To Be Your Lover - William Bell
  26. Running Out - Mable John
  27. My Baby Specializes - William Bell/Judy Clay
  28. I'll Understand - Soul Children

CD2

  1. The Ghetto - Staple Singers
  2. Blues Power - Albert King
  3. The Echo - Epsilons
  4. Funky Way - Rufus Thomas
  5. Take Care Of Your Homework - Johnnie Taylor
  6. I Like What You're Doing (To Me) - Carla Thomas
  7. I've Got To Have Your Love - Eddie Floyd
  8. Let 'Em Down Baby - Jimmy Hughes
  9. Love Is Here Today And Gone Tomorrow - Mad Lads
  10. It Ain't Long Enough - Judy Clay
  11. Mellow Way You Treat Your Man - Ollie/Nightingales
  12. Private Number - Sonny Stitt
  13. Time Is Tight - Booker T. & The MGs
  14. Double Or Nothing - Mar-Keys
  15. (Sittin' On The) Dock Of The Bay - Staple Singers
  16. So I Can Love You - Emotions
  17. Don't Stop Dancing (To The Music) (Part 1) - Bar-Kays
  18. One More Chance - Margie Joseph
  19. I Wanna Be Good (To You) - Jimmy Dotson
  20. Finger Lickin' Good - Art Jerry Miller
  21. Tighten Up My Thang - Soul Children
  22. My Whole World Is Falling Down - William Bell
  23. Testify (I Wanna) - Johnnie Taylor
  24. Drowning On Dry Land - Albert King
  25. Do The Cissy - Stingers
  26. Don't Tell Your Mama (Where You've Been) - Eddie Floyd

CD3

  1. Mrs. Robinson - Booker T. & The MGs
  2. Love's Sweet Sensation - William Bell/Mavis Staples
  3. Just Because Your Love Is Gone - Darrell Banks
  4. Chains Of Love - Jimmy Hughs
  5. Happy - William Bell
  6. The Challenge - Staple Singers
  7. Soul-a-lujah - Johnnie Taylor/Eddie Floyd/William Bell/Pervis Staples/Carla Thomas/Mavis Staples/Cleotha Staples
  8. Never, Never Let You Go - Eddie Floyd/Mavis Staples
  9. Just Keep On Loving Me - Johnnie Taylor/Carla Thomas
  10. I Need You Woman - William Bell/Carla Thomas
  11. I've Got A Feeling - Ollie/Nightingales
  12. It's Time To Pay For The Fun (We've Had) - Jeanne/Darlings
  13. I Could Never Be President - Johnnie Taylor
  14. By The Time I Get To Phoenix - Mad Lads
  15. Long And Lonely World - Colette Kelly
  16. Midnight Cowboy - Bar-Kays
  17. I've Fallen In Love (With You) - Carla Thomas
  18. Slum Baby - Booker T. & The MGs
  19. The Best Part Of A Love Affair - Emotions
  20. By The Time I Get To Phoenix - Isaac Hayes
  21. Walk On By - Isaac Hayes
  22. Tupelo (Part 1) - Pop Staples/Albert King/Steve Cropper
  23. Water - Steve Cropper/Albert King/Pop Staples
  24. The Sweeter He Is (Part 1) - Soul Children
  25. You're Driving Me (To The Arms Of A Stranger) - Mavis Staples

CD4

  1. Open Up Your Heart (Let Me In) - Newcomers
  2. Why Is the Wine Sweeter (On The Other Side) - Eddie Floyd
  3. When Will We Be Paid - Staple Singers
  4. Grinder Man - John Lee Hooker
  5. Born Under A Bad Sign - William Bell
  6. What You Gonna Do - Margie Joseph
  7. I'm So Glad - Jimmy Hughes
  8. Beautiful Feelings - Darrell Banks
  9. Your Love Was Strange - Dramatics
  10. Love Bones - Johnnie Taylor
  11. Hard To Say Goodbye - Delaney/Bonnie
  12. Got To Get Rid Of You - J.J. Barnes
  13. Habit Forming Love - Reggie Milner
  14. My Thing Is A Moving Thing - T.S.U. Toronadoes
  15. Stealing Love - Emotions
  16. When Tomorrow Comes - Emotions
  17. Wrapped Up In Love Again - Albert King
  18. Do The Funky Chicken - Rufus Thomas
  19. California Girl - Eddie Floyd
  20. Tribute To A Black Woman (Part 1) - Bernie Hayes
  21. Sang And Dance - Bar-Kays
  22. Hold On, I'm Coming - Soul Children
  23. Love's Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down (Part 1) - Chuck Brooks
  24. Help Me Put Out The Flame (In My Heart) - Ernie Hines
  25. Black Boy - Roebuck 'Pop' Staples

CD5

  1. Bracing Myself For The Fall - Ollie/Nightingales
  2. All I Have To Do Is Dream - William Bell/Carla Thomas
  3. Sining About Love - Jeanne/Darlings
  4. Goodies - Chris/Shak
  5. Just The Way You Are Today - Barbara Lewis
  6. The Creeper Returns - Little Sonny
  7. Guide Me Well - Carla Thomas
  8. Give A Damn - Staple Singers
  9. Steal Away - Johnnie Taylor
  10. Your Sweet Lovin' - Margie Joseph
  11. I Forgot To Remember - Jones/Blumeberg
  12. Can't See You When I Want To - David Porter
  13. Never Be True - Carla Thomas
  14. Can't You See What You're Doing To Me - Albert King
  15. Sixty Minute Man (Part 2) - Rufus Thomas
  16. The Preacher And The Bear - Rufus Thomas
  17. Something - Booker T. & The MGs
  18. Seeing Is Believin' - Mad Lads
  19. You're My Only Temptation - Roz Ryan
  20. What I Don't Know Won't Hurt Me - Paul Thompson
  21. Right, TIght And Out Of Sight - Branding Iron
  22. (What's Under) The Natural Do - John Kasandra

CD6

  1. My Girl - Eddie Floyd
  2. I Have Learned To Do Without You - Mavis Staples
  3. Play The Music Toronadoes - T.S.U. Toronadoes
  4. Lonely Soldier - William Bell
  5. Heart Association - Emotions
  6. I Stand Accused - Isaac Hayes
  7. Brand New Day - Staple Singers
  8. Sweeter Tomorrow - Margie Joseph
  9. Cool Strut - Bernie Hayes
  10. You Put The Sunshine Back In My World - Newcomers
  11. Montego Bay - Bar-Kays
  12. Got It Together (Parts 1 & 2) - Rudy Robinson/Hungry Five
  13. Wade In The Water - Little Sonny
  14. You're Movin' Much Too Fast - Nightingales
  15. The Best Years Of My Life - Eddie Floyd
  16. I Am Somebody (Part 2) - Johnnie Taylor
  17. I Loved You Like I Love My Very Life - Carla Thomas
  18. Soul Machine - Reggie Milner
  19. (Follow Her) Rules And Regulations - Tempress
  20. (Do The) Push And Pull (Part 1) - Rufus Thomas
  21. Love Changes - Charlene/Soul Serenades
  22. Put Your World In My World (Best Of Two Worlds) - Soul Children
  23. Love Is Plentiful - Staple Singers

CD7

  1. Heavy Makes You Happy (Ska-Na-Boom Boom) - Staple Singers
  2. Who Took The Merry Out Of Christmas - Staple Singers
  3. Too Many Lovers - Shak
  4. Black Christmas - Emotions
  5. The Mistletoe And Me - Isaac Hayes
  6. Ask The Lonley - Barbara Lewis
  7. Jody's Got Your Girl And Gone - Johnnie Taylor
  8. Finish Me Off - Soul Children
  9. Oh, How It Rained - Eddie Floyd
  10. The Look Of Love - Isaac Hayes
  11. Electrified Love - Ernie Hines
  12. Melting Pot - Booker T. & The MGs
  13. That's The Way I Like It (I Like it That Way) - Barbara Lewis
  14. Mr. Big Stuff - Jean Knight
  15. You Make Me Want To Love You - Emotions
  16. Stop! In The Name Of Love - Margie Joseph
  17. I Don't Wanna Lose You - Johnnie Taylor
  18. (Girl) I Love You - Temprees
  19. The World Is Round - Rufus Thomas
  20. A Penny For Your Thoughts - William Bell
  21. never Can Say Goodbye - Issac Hayes
  22. I Don't Want To Be Like My Daddy - Nightingales

CD8

  1. You've Got To Earn It - Staple Singers
  2. Hold On To It - Limitations
  3. Watcha See Is Watcha Get - Dramatics
  4. Born Too Late - Branding Iron
  5. Just Ain't Strong As I Used To Be (You Done Fed Me Sumpin') - Jimmy Hughes
  6. That Other Woman Got My Man And Gone - Margie Joseph
  7. If You Think It (You May As Well Do It) - Emotions
  8. Shame On The Family Name - Calvin Scott
  9. Blood Is Thicker Than Water - Eddie Floyd
  10. (The Soul Philosopher): Hijackin' Love - Johnnie Taylor
  11. Sweetback's Theme - Melvin Van Peebles
  12. The Breakdown (Part 1) - Rufus Thomas
  13. Pin The Tail On The Donkey - Newcomers
  14. Them Hot Pants - Lee Sain
  15. If That Ain't A Reason (For Your Woman To Leave You) - Little Milton
  16. It's Good To Be Careful (But It's Better To Be Loved) - Shack
  17. Where Would You Be Today - Ilana
  18. Everybody Wants To Go To Heaven - Albert King
  19. Go To Get Away From It All - Soul Children
  20. Love's Creepin Up On Me - United Image
  21. Show Me How - Emotions
  22. If I Give It Up, I Want It Back - David Porter
  23. A Woman Named Trouble - Little Sonny

CD9

  1. Losing Boy - Eddie Giles
  2. Respect Yourself - Staple Singers
  3. I'll Kill A Brick (About My Man) - Hot Sauce
  4. You Think You're Hot Stuff - Jean Knight
  5. All For The Love Of A Woman - William Bell
  6. Theme From 'Shaft' - Isaac Hayes
  7. Jamaica, This Morning - MGS
  8. Gone! The Promises Of Yesterday - Mad Lads
  9. Girl, Come On Home - Major Lance
  10. (Let Hurt Put You In The) Loser's Seat - Joni Wilson
  11. My Baby Love - Tempress
  12. How Do You Move A Mountain - Leaders
  13. Black Nasty: Black Nasty Boogie (Part 6) - Black Nasty
  14. Do The Funky Penguin (Part 1) - Rufus Thomas
  15. You've Got A Cushion To Fall On - Carla Thomas
  16. Get Up And Get Down - Dramatics
  17. Son Of Shaft - Bar-Kays
  18. Don't Cha Mess With My Money, My Honey, Or My Woman - L.V. Johnson
  19. I Can Smell That Funky Music - Eric Mercury
  20. A Sadness For Things - Calvin Scott
  21. That's What Love Will Make You Do - Little Milton
  22. Standing In For Jody - Johnnie Taylor

The Complete Stax Volt Singles 1972-1975, Volume 3

CD 1
1. Yum Yum Yum (I Want Some) – Eddie Floyd
2. Carry On – Jean Knight
3. Do Your Thing (Vocal) – Isaac Hayes
4. I’ve Been Lonely for So Long – Frederick Knight
5. Nothing Is Everlasting – Annette Thomas
6. Hearsay – The Soul Children
7. Angel of Mercy – Albert King
8. In the Rain (Edited Version) – The Dramatics
9. She’s My Old Lady Too – Lee Sain
10. Explain It to Her Mama – The Temprees
11. Right On – Sons of Slum
12. Doing My Own Thing (Part 1) – Johnnie Taylor (The Soul Philospher)
13. My Honey and Me – The Emotions
14. Let’s Stay Together (Instr.) – Isaac Hayes
15. Bring It Home (And Give It to Me) – Hot Sauce
16. Look Around You – Black Society
17. Don’t Do It/I’m with You – The Nightingales
18. I’ll Take You There – The Staple Singers
19. Which Way – The Leaders
20. Living a Life Without Love – Veda Brown
21. What’s Good for You (Don’t Have to Be Good to You) – Harvey Scales
22. Let Me Repair Your Heart – The Mad Lads
23. What’s Usual Seems Natur’l – Eric Mercury
24. I Wanna Make Up (Before We Break Up) – Major Lance

CD 2
1. Ain’t That Loving You (For More Reasons Than One) – Isaac Hayes/David Porter
2. Walking the Back Streets And Crying – Little Milton
3. Save Us – William Bell
4. 6-3-8 – Rufus Thomas
5. Starting All Over Again – Mel & Tim
6. Keep On Loving Me – Stefan
7. I’m Afraid the Masquerade Is Over – David Porter
8. Goin’ Down Slow (Parts 1 & 2) – Little Sonny
9. I Could Never Be Happy – The Emotions
10. Don’t Take My Kindness For Weakness – The Soul Children
11. I’ll Play the Blues For You (Part 1) – Albert King
12. I Dedicate My Life to You – Roger Hatcher
13. Do The Sweetback – March Wind
14. Gettin’ Funky ‘Round Here – Black Nasty
15. When the Chips Are Down – David Porter
16. Sugar – Carla Thomas
17. You’re Good Enough (To Be My Baby) – Eddie Floyd
18. This World – The Staple Singers
19. Helping Man – Jean Knight
20. Ain’t I Good? – John Kasandra

CD 3

1. Dance, Dance, Dance (Part 1) – The Bar-Keys
2. Dedicated to The One I Love – The Temprees
3. Toast to the Fool – The Dramatics
4. Stop Doggin’ Me – Johnnie Taylor
5. Trouble – Frederick Knight
6. I’m Gonna Cry a River – Little Milton
7. Itch and Scratch (Part 1) – Rufus Thomas
8. What Would I Do – Ernie Hines
9. I Know It’s Not Right (To Be in Love with a Married Man) – Veda Brown
10. Holy Cow – Stefan
11. What Goes Around (Must Come Around) – Sons Of Slum
12. Theme from ‘The Men’ (Instr.) – Isaac Hayes
13. Endlessly – Mavis Staples
14. You Hurt Me for the Last Time – Inez Foxx
15. My Sweet Lord – John Gary Williams
16. Breaking Up Somebody’s Home – Albert King
17. How Can You Mistreat the One You Love – Katie Love
18. From Toys to Boys – The Emotions
19. The Dryer (Vocal) (Part 1) – Roy Lee Johnson & The Villagers
20. I May Not Be All You Want (But I’m All You Got) – Carla Thomas
21. Ain’t No Sweat – Major Lance
22. Do Me – Jean Knight
23. Rainy Day – Little Milton

CD 4
1. It Ain’t Always What You Do (It’s Who You Let See You Do It) – The Soul Children
2. I May Not Be What You Want – Mel & Tim
3. Funky Robot (Part 1) – Rufus Thomas
4. Don’t You Fool with My Soul (Part 1) – Johnnie Taylor
5. Oh La De Da – The Staple Singers
6. What Do You See in Her? – Hot Sauce
7. A Thousand Miles Away – The Temprees
8. Hey You! Get Off My Mountain – The Dramatics
9. Rolling Down a Mountainside – Isaac Hayes
10. You’re Still My Brother – The Bar-Keys
11. Stop Half Loving These Women – Jimmy Lewis
12. Lovin’ On Borrowed Time – William Bell
13. Lay Your Loving On Me – Eddie Floyd
14. The Time – Inez Foxx
15. Heaven Knows – Mel & Tim
16. I Believe In You (You Believe in Me) – Johnnie Taylor
17. Short Stopping – Veda Brown
18. Be What You Are – The Staple Singers
19. I’ve Got to Love Somebody’s Baby – Stefan
20. Playing On Me – Albert King
21. Long As You’re The One Somebody in the World – David Porter

CD 5

1. This Is My Song of Love to You – Frederick Knight
2. Sugarcane – The MGs
3. Love Is a Hurtin’ Thing – The Soul Children
4. Baby, Lay Your Head Down (Gently On My Bed) – Eddie Floyd
5. Check Me Out – Eddie Floyd
6. Running Back (And Forth) – The Emotions
7. Crossing Over the Bridge – Inez Foxx
8. Love’s Maze – The Temprees
9. It Ain’t Easy – The Bar-Keys
10. Love Among People – Carla Thomas
11. What It Is – Little Milton
12. I’ve Got to Go On Without You – William Bell
13. Love Is Taking Over – Eric Mercury
14. Ruby Dean – Joe Hicks
15. I’m So Glad I Fell in Love with You – The Mad Lads
16. Fell for You – The Dramatics
17. Cheaper to Keep Her – Johnnie Taylor
18. I Know You Don’t Want Me No More – Rufus Thomas
19. If You’re Ready (Come Go with Me) – The Staple Singers
20. Slipped and Tripped – The Sweet Inspirations
21. Peace Be Still – The Emotions
22. I’ll Be the Other Woman – The Soul Children

CD 6

1. The Martian Hop – The Newcomers
2. I Had a Talk with My Man – Inez Foxx
3. At Last – The Temprees
4. Joy (Part 1) – Isaac Hayes
5. Good Woman Turning Bad – Hot Sauce
6. Mose (Part 3) – John Kasandra
7. I’ll Be Your Santa Baby – Rufus Thomas
8. I Wanna Do Things for You – Eddie Floyd
9. That’s What the Blues Is All About – Albert King
10. One Way Love Affair – Carolyn Hurley
11. Tin Pan Alley – Little Milton
12. The Funky Bird – Rufus Thomas
13. We’re Getting Careless with Our Love – Johnnie Taylor
14. What Do the Lonely Do at Christmas – The Emotions
15. Season’s Greetings – Cix Bits
16. Don’t Lose Your Faith in Me Lord – Eric Mercury
17. Don’t Start Loving Me (If You’re Gonna Stop) – Veda Brown
18. Touch a Hand, Make a Friend – The Staple Singers
19. And I Panicked – The Dramatics
20. Change It All – Joy Fleiming

CD 7
1. Gettin’ What You Want (Losin’ What You Got) – William Bell
2. He’s Mine – Jacqui Verdell
3. My Woman Is Good to Me – Little Sonny
4. I Got You and I’m Glad – David Porter
5. Put A Little Love Away – The Emotions
6. Suzy – Frederick Knight
7. The Same Folks – Mel & Tim
8. You Make the Sunshine – The Temprees
9. The Whole Damn World Is Going Crazy – John Gary Williams
10. Circuit’s Overloaded – Inez Foxx
11. Wonderful – Isaac Hayes
12. Behind Closed Doors – Little Milton
13. Guess Who – Eddie Floyd
14. Dirty Tricks – The Sweet Inspirations
15. Whicha Way Did It Go – Roebuck ‘Pops’ Staples
16. Talking to the People – Black Nasty
17. I’ve Been Born Again – Johnnie Taylor
18. Neckbone – The MGs
19. Wounded Woman – Sandra Wright
20. Stop Doggin’ Me – Hot Sauce
21. Goodness Gracious – Kim Weston

CD 8
1. City in the Sky – The Staple Singers
2. Title Theme – Isaac Hayes
3. Soul Street – Eddie Floyd
4. Flat Tire – Albert King
5. Love Makes It Right – The Soul Children
6. Mr. Cool That Ain’t Cool – The Temprees
7. Boogie Ain’t Nuttin’ (But Gettin’ Down) (Part 1) – Rufus Thomas
8. Highway to Heaven – Ron Banks & The Dramatics
9. Get It While It’s Hot – William Bell
10. Passing Thru – Frederick Knight
11. Keep an Eye On Your Close Friends – The Newcomers
12. My Main Man/There Is a God – The Staple Singers
13. That’s the Way I Want to Live My Life – Mel & Tim
14. Forever and a Day – Mel & Tim
15. Baby, I’m Through – The Emotions
16. It’s September – Johnnie Taylor
17. Woman to Woman – Shirley Brown
18. Did You Hear Yourself (Part 1) – Randy Brown & Company
19. You Need a Friend Like Mine – Annette Thomas
20. I Love, I Love – The Temprees
21. Let Me Back In – Little Milton

CD 9
1. Crosscut Saw – Albert King
2. Coldblooded – The Bar-Keys
3. Bump Meat – Sir Mack Rice
4. (Too Little in Common to Be Lovers) Too Much Going to Say Goodbye – The Newcomers
5. Bump and Boogie (Part 1) – The Wrecking Crew
6. What’s Happening Baby (Part 1) – The Soul Children
7. Who Made the Man – The Staple Singers
8. I Keep Thinking to Myself – Brook Benton
9. I Got a Reason to Smile (Cause I Got You) – Eddie Floyd
10. Try to Leave Me If You Can (I Bet You Can’t Do It) – Bessie Banks
11. Burning On Both Ends – Willie Singleton
12. There Are More Questions Than Answers – The Emotions
13. Santa Claus Wants Some Lovin’ – Albert King
14. I Can’t Let You Go – Hot Sauce
15. I Betcha Didn’t Know That – Frederick Knight
16. Lovin’ You, Lovin’ Me – Sandra Wright
17. Do the Double Bump – Rufus Thomas
18. Come and Get Your Love – The Temprees
19. Dark Skin Woman (Part 1) – Sir Mack Rice
20. It Ain’t No Fun – Shirley Brown
21. If You Talk in Your Sleep – Little Milton
22. Talk to the Man – Eddie Floyd

CD10
1. You’re Astounding – Barbara & Joe
2. Dy-No-Mite (Did You Say My Love) – The Green Brothers
3. Boom-A-Rang – The Dynamic Soul Machine
4. Come What May – John Gary Williams
5. Try Me Tonight – Johnnie Taylor
6. Groovin’ On My Baby’s Love – Freddie Waters
7. I Can’t Shake Your Love (Can’t Shake You Loose) – The Fiestas
8. I Wanna Play with You – Frederick Knight
9. I’m Doing Fine – Albert King
10. No Way (I Can Live Without You) – Teresa Davis
11. Back Road Into Town – The Staple Singers
12. I’m So Glad I Met You – Eddie Floyd
13. Packed Up and Took My Mind – Little Milton
14. Just Keep On Loving Me – Johnnie Taylor
15. How Can I Be a Witness – R.B. Hudmon
16. Jump Back ’75 (Part 1) – Rufus Thomas
17. I Got to Be Myself – The Staple Singers
18. It’s Worth A Whippin’ – Shirley Brown
19. Holy Ghost (Part 1) – The Bar-Keys

=============================================================
=============================================================

12 comments:

  1. love all this B.B great pick thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for this, massive Stax fan. spotted this being released soon
    https://vayatmusic.com/2023/05/10/va-written-in-their-soul/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi dchughes62.
      Hope you get a lot of enjoyment from these sets.
      Cheers.

      Delete
  3. Good evening, Butterboy, many, many many thanks for this compilation! I'm looking for this a long time. Many thanks for your effort, work and time. I'm happy! :-) Kindly regards, Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michael.
      I am glad you found this set here. I posted them individually previously, but the links were dead, so it's great you now have them.
      Cheers

      Delete
  4. BB How anyone could turn down this wonderful set must be crazy. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi lemonflag.
      One would have to be crazy...
      Cheers.

      Delete
  5. You could just randomly play any song in this batch, and it would be simply phenomenal. People forget just how other worldly Stax was, and or so long. Many, many thanks, BB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pmac.
      I bought the 1t box set in the early 90s and was blown away. Ther others also matter. have fun revisiting these.
      Cheers.

      Delete
  6. Hi Butterboy
    This is a really great post. I’ve not downloaded as I already own them but dchughes62 referred to a new Stax box set of demos and to advertise it Mojo have included a cd with 15 selections from the set with their latest issue which I thought fellow Stax fans might enjoy – so here it is available for a week.
    https://we.tl/t-GUkCVxIyN9

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee Viathan.
      Thank you for the link to the latest Mojo CD. Appreciated.
      hope others notice and pick it up.
      Cheers.

      Delete