Miles Davis - The Complete On The Corner Sessions  (6 X CD's)
The Complete On the Corner Sessions is a posthumous box set by American jazz musician Miles Davis, released in the US on September 25, 2007 by Columbia Records and in the UK on September 29 on Legacy Recordings. Like other Davis box sets, the included material is taken from a wider chronology of sessions than the dates which actually produced the titular album. The Complete On the Corner Sessions compiles material from 1972 through 1975 which, due to lineup changes Davis made throughout the era, features over two dozen musicians. The box set includes more than six hours of music. Twelve of these are previously unissued tracks. Another five tracks are previously unissued in full. They cover sixteen sessions from On the Corner, Big Fun, and Get Up with It until Davis's mid-seventies retirement. Miles is joined in these recordings by Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, John McLaughlin, Jack DeJohnette, Billy Hart, and many others. (Wikipedia)
The Complete On the Corner Sessions, recorded between 1972 and 1975, centers on the albums On the Corner, Get Up with It, and the hodgepodge leftovers collection Big Fun. It took this long to realize just how big an impact On the Corner has had -- some 35 years later -- on the music that came after it in electric jazz sure, but elsewhere too. Listeners still never grasped it entirely and perhaps still won't. But only now does the possibility even exist to discover not only how this album came about and what Miles was up to, but what else was percolating in that murky underground, in the world of sound, unheard and even unimagined until the moment it made it onto tape with those various groups of players. The bottom line is that the music on the album itself influenced -- either positively or negatively -- every single thing that came after it in jazz, rock, soul, funk, hip-hop, electronic and dance music, ambient music, and even popular world music, directly or indirectly. All of it can be traced to On the Corner. There is a world here waiting to be discovered. This is a fitting end to Columbia's studio re-release projects of Davis, but more than that, it can be argued that if you would only allow yourself one of these box sets, especially of the post-In a Silent Way material, it should be this one, because it will no doubt be listened to most and arguably leave the deepest impression. It will take you there and keep you there for as long as you want to stay. (Amazon)
Miles Davis - The Complete On The Corner Sessions  All
01. "On the Corner (unedited master)" June 1, 1972 19:25
02. "On the Corner (take 4)" June 1, 1972 5:15
03. "One and One (unedited master)" June 6, 1972 17:55
04. "Helen Butte/Mr. Freedom X (unedited master)" June 6, 1972 23:37
05. "Jabali" June 12, 1972 11:04
CD1 remixed by Richard King and Bob Belden in 2007.
01. "Ife" June 12, 1972 21:33
02. "Chieftain" August 23, 1972 14:37
03. "Rated X" September 6, 1972 6:50
04. "Turnaround" November 29, 1972 17:16
05. "U-turnaround" November 1972 8:27
Track 1 from Big Fun. Track 3 from Get Up With It. Tracks 4 and 5 are outtakes from the same track, sections of which were previously released on Bill Laswell's Panthalassa: The Music of Miles Davis 1969–1974 as "Agharta Prelude Dub". Tracks 2, 3 & 5 remixed by Richard King and Bob Belden in 2007.
01. "Billy Preston" December 8, 1972 12:33
02. "The Hen" January 4–5, 1973 12:55
03. "Big Fun/Holly-wuud (take 2)" July 26, 1973 6:32
04. "Big Fun/Holly-wuud (take 3)" July 26, 1973 7:07
05. "Peace" July 26, 1973 7:01
06. "Mr Foster" September 17, 1973 15:14
Track 1 from stereo LP master of Get Up With It. Tracks 2-6 remixed by Richard King and Bob Belden in 2007.
01. "Calypso Frelimo" Sep 17, 1973 32:08
02. "He Loved Him Madly" Jun 19, 1974 32:17
Both tracks from stereo LP master of Get Up With It.
01. "Maiysha" October 7, 1974 14:51
02. "Mtume" October 7, 1974 15:08
03. "Mtume (take 11)" October 7, 1974 6:51
04. "Hip-Skip" November 6, 1974 18:59
05. "What They Do" November 6, 1974 11:44
06. "Minnie" May 5, 1975 3:53
Tracks 1 & 2 from stereo LP master of Get Up With It. Tracks 3-6 remixed by Richard King and Bob Belden in 2007.
01. "Red China Blues" March 9, 1972 4:06
02. "On the Corner/New York Girl/Thinkin' of One Thing and Doin' Another/Vote for Miles" June 1, 1972 19:54
03. "Black Satin" June 1 and July 7, 1972 5:15
04. "One and One" June 6, 1972 6:09
05. "Helen Butte/Mr. Freedom X (master)" June 6, 1972 23:14
06. "Big Fun" July 26, 1973 2:32
07. "Holly-wuud" July 26, 1973 2:54
Track 1 from stereo LP master of Get Up With It. Tracks 2-5 are the stereo LP master of On The Corner. Tracks 6 & 7 are the masters for a 45 single, both are taken from Big Fun/Holly-wuud (take 3) (track 4 on CD 3).
Another great post! Your blog is incredible!!!
Enjoy these delights, more coming...
I agree with Jaume - thanks, Butter; I missed this during its earlier posting at TZ, so I'm glad for the opportunity again to give it a listen. Cheers!ReplyDelete
Well I am glad you had the second pick at the cherries. This is a great listen.Delete
Thanks for Miles.ReplyDelete
Like many (back in 1972), I initially had a bit of a hard time wrapping my head around this deep dive that Miles made into voodoo funk. Although I fully embraced the ever expanding 'new directions' that lead up to it, 'On The Corner' was nevertheless a big pill to swallow. But I kept coming back to it from time to time until it eventually made its way into the recesses of my consciousness. Once there, it worked its sorcery and today I consider it essential listening. Many thanks for this generous share!ReplyDelete
I understand your comments totally, As my brain was aging so did my appreciation for a broader listening of all genres. Initially I didn't get Jazz music but grew to love it. This particular album/box set is wonderful and should be essential listening.
Thank you for sharing.
Hi Butterboy , do you think it's possible to have a re up of this box of Miles please ? That would be really appreciated and lovely. Have a good day.Delete
New links established, tested and working.
Thanks a lot , so much reactivity and make things that fast. Stay safe. have a nice day.Delete